Metastatic lesions in my skull

This afternoon I saw my radiation oncologist to get his opinion of the results of my April 12 brain MRI. While the shrinking of the metastatic lesion in my brain is certainly good news, he is concerned about three small bony metastatic lesions that the MRI detected in my skull. Two of them require no immediate treatment, but one of them is close to my brainstem and throat and he recommended treating that soon with radiation treatments Monday through Friday for two consecutive weeks.

Before he can start those treatments, he needs to design and construct a brace that will hold my head in exactly the same position for each of those ten treatments. And to do that, he needs a specialized CT scan.

I was already scheduled for a PET scan tomorrow morning, and since it is in the same building in which his CT scan would be done, he arranged for his CT scan to take place tomorrow right after my PET scan. That’s very convenient.

The ten radiation treatments will be targeted close to my brainstem and my throat. Of course, that’s a concern. I find myself thinking about Philippians 4:6-7: “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Yet I find it hard not to be anxious, maybe even a bit fearful.  

In my last post, I mentioned I was going to have surgery to open a bladder neck contracture. That surgery was last Wednesday. After returning home following the surgery, I had to go to the ER later that day and then spend three days in the hospital. I’ll spare you the details but it was one of the most painful and emotionally traumatic experiences of my life. I wonder if the emotional trauma from that experience has affected my reaction to the news of needing ten radiation treatments near my brainstem and throat. I’d sure love to experience “the peace of God, which transcends all understanding” as I deal with this.

And in the meantime, since I’m finished with chemo my hair should start growing back soon. Now that’s something to look forward to!!

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lung Cancer

Chemo and Gamma Knife