Metastatic Lesions in Lumbar Spine

Last Friday, June 18, MRIs were taken of my cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spines hoping they would point to the cause of extreme lower back pain. The expectation was that they would identify a pinched nerve or other nerve or muscle involvement that could be “fixed” simply with pain meds.

Last Monday the 21st I got my last radiation treatment for the lung cancer. At that same time Joanie got her last immunotherapy infusion for her breast cancer. It was a cause for celebration!

Yesterday the 23rd I got a phone call from my radiation oncologist’s nurse informing me that the MRI results show that the cancer has spread to my lumbar spine. The lower back pain I’ve been experiencing has been caused by those metastatic bone cancer lesions. Not much to celebrate there.

This morning we met with my oncologist to discuss those results and develop a new treatment plan. That plan includes the following:

  • Begin radiation treatments to my lumbar spine ASAP and increase the dosage of Fentanyl patches on my back from one every three days to two every three days. The purpose of those treatments and patches would be to relieve pain. It would not cure the cancer or add any time to my life.
  • Consider starting chemo with Taxotere. The purpose of that chemo would be to add some time to my life. It would not have any effect on pain, nor would it cure the cancer. There could be serious and undesirable side effects. At this point there is no treatment that would cure the cancer.

This afternoon Joanie and I talked via Zoom with my MD Anderson oncologist regarding my most recent prostate cancer test results. Those results show that my prostate cancer from 2009 has remained in remission since I went on a clinical study in May, 2015. But in talking with him about the prostate cancer, he suggested I get a second opinion from MD Anderson regarding the lung cancer and we enthusiastically agreed. Arrangements for that second opinion will probably be finalized sometime next week.

Tomorrow morning I’ll get my first of ten radiation treatments for the metastatic cancer in my lumbar spine.

Joanie and I are really looking forward to this coming weekend. My brother (Jim) and one of my sisters (Marilyn) from Washington State and my other sister (Yvonne) from California are coming to OKC for a visit! They’ll arrive tomorrow (Friday) and we’ll spend the weekend in an Airbnb not far from our house. We’ll enjoy some good meals and great visits before they return to their homes Monday.

That’s a pretty quick rundown of the events of the last few days and of the joy we’re looking forward to over the next few days. Of course, our lives have become a whirlwind of emotions and we’re doing the best we can to deal with all of that. But with the Lord beside us and some really good family and friends supporting and praying for us, we’ll get through this.


Comments

  1. You and Joanie are in my thoughts and prayers. You might ask your doctors for large reusable gel ice packs for your back. I used those after back surgery and they helped me so much with the pain. Just a suggestion, but worth asking your medical team. 20 minutes on then 20 minutes off and repeat as needed. ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken I think of you often (every day) because I pray for you often…(every day actually). It’s easy to like you because you’re a kind, gentle man. Because of the medical path I’ve traveled I understand the concerns and apprehension that goes along with this terrible disease. How great to know that regardless of the outcome you’ll be just fine. How dark a scenario it would be without God.
    I continue to look up to you and will continue to pray for you daily. In fact, I think I’ll do it now. Your friend, John Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't think of anything I can say to ease your suffering, however please know that I do care about you and consider it an honor to know you. I am not religious but I do believe in God and hope he will walk with you through this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lung Cancer

Chemo and Gamma Knife