Lung Cancer

It started a few months ago with a chronic cough. Then shortness of breath became an issue. Three months or so ago I could play three hours of pickleball without any problems. A couple months later I’d be breathing hard after just one game. X-rays showed nothing concerning.

Then, on Tuesday December 15, 2020 I went into a fairly violent coughing spell and coughed up a lot of blood. We (Joanie and I) went to the ER at the hospital where my pulmonologist works. After doing a CT scan of my lungs the ER doctor told us I have lung cancer.

The next day I saw my pulmonologist’s PA. She said the CT scan results were “suspicious” for lung cancer but a biopsy would be required to confirm that. She scheduled me for a lung biopsy the following Monday. She also commented that it is extremely rare for a non-smoker like me to develop lung cancer.

The following morning (Thursday December 17, 2020) I coughed up more blood. We knew there is an excellent pulmonary oncology team at the Stephenson Cancer Center here in Oklahoma City, so we went to their ER. They did a CT scan of my head, chest, and abdomen. The scan showed a mass in my lungs and several lesions in my liver and one in my brain. They agreed that everything looked suspicious of cancer and that they needed a biopsy for a conclusive diagnosis.

So I spent five days in the OU Hospital System getting CT scans, an MRI, a PET scan, and a bronchoscopy with biopsy.

After all those tests, it’s quite obvious that I have a large malignant tumor surrounding and invading the bronchial tube that enters my right lung. That tumor has essentially closed off the passage of air to that lung. There are also several metastatic lesions in both of my lungs and my liver, and a single lesion in my brain and another in my right upper rib.

I’ll begin several weeks of daily radiation treatments to the tumor on Monday. Then on Wednesday I’ll see my pulmonary oncologist for the full, complete report with all the details. Joanie and I are looking forward to that visit because it’ll tie all the pieces together into one comprehensive picture about my condition, recommended treatment plans, and prognosis.

Those are the facts as we know them now.

How do we feel about these facts? I’ll write more about that in future posts, but for now there’s a great acceptance, calm, and peace; no fear or dread.

(I’m still figuring out how to configure the settings for this blog, but there should be a “Subscribe” button you can click to be notified via email of future posts.)

Comments

  1. Ken... Unpleasant as this news is, I admire the approach and mindset you are applying to it. Very classy. I recall that this isn't your first round with cancer, so you have a pretty good idea what you're dealing with. You and Joanie are in our thoughts and we're hoping 2021 brings you a path to recovery. Looking forward to harmonizing with you again. ---Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken, Thank you for sharing with us. Praying that you receive the best medical care and results possible. Love to you and Joanie. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying that the peace and calm will continue throughout this journey. I also pray for healing and most important, God's will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am praying for the Lord's comfort for you and continued peace in your hearts. What a gift that is! I'm also praying for healing and no pain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am absolutely amazed at how terrific the stuff is on this site. I have saved this webpage mgh institute of health professions speech pathology
    Hi there, I found your web site via Google while looking for a related topic, your website came up, it looks good. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks health o meter professional body fat scale
    the time to read or take a look at the material or web sites we’ve linked to below the essentials of psychiatric mental health nursing 6th edition pdf

    ReplyDelete
  6. “I was walking and my husband was telling me to slow down because he couldn’t keep up with me.”
    Denise F. lived with COPD and chronic asthma for many years. When her quality of life continued to decline, Denise decided to try something different.While being with her horses brought her peace and joy, not being able to breathe made spending time with them challenging. When her grandchildren would visit, she couldn’t even participate in their activities.After the herbal recommendation at the ( multivitamincare org ) Denise my best friend no longer needs oxygen or a walker and has seen many improvements. She can walk, clean her house, go shopping, enjoy a vacation, ride her horses, lift hay bales and do anything she wants to do.Now, when her grandchildren visit, they can ride horses together and make wonderful memories. And, Denise wants to lead the way, “I was walking and my husband was telling me to slow down because he couldn’t keep up with me.”
    If you or someone you love has COPD, emphysema, pulmonary fibrosis or another chronic lung disease and would like to see results like Denise’s, contact them on their website to learn more about your lung disease treatment options how to overcome it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chemo and Gamma Knife